hepatitis B in pregnancy

I am 24yrs with 37wks pregnant, my result for hep B goes this way: Hbsag positive , anti-hbc ab igm - non reactive, anti-hcv - non reactive.liver function test; normal, My husband was tested hbsag negative, I'm so scared for all this.

Response from Dr. Taylor

It can be scary to receive blood test results about hepatitis, but it is wonderful that you got tested. I also hope that you consider getting an HIV test if you have not done so recently, as this impacts next steps.

The HBSAg means that you have hepatitis B infection. Hepatitis B is typically not an emergency but it is helpful to have a doctor assist with this infection. Avoiding smoking or drinking alcohol is important with hepatitis B and also in pregnancy.

There are medications that are safe and effective to lower the chance of developing complications of hepatitis B, but there are certain reasons to take them or not at certain times, to discuss with your doctor. These include whether or not you also have HIV infection, whether or not you are pregnant, and the level of your hepatitis B viral load. Ideally one should not take any medications in pregnancy without discussing this with a doctor.

The risk of your baby getting hepatitis B may be decreased dramatically by having your infant vaccinated against hepatitis B at birth and then according to a schedule your doctor can discuss with you. There is a second treatment called HBIG, hepatitis B immune globulin, that if available depending on where you live, decreases the risk of spread to the baby further.

It will be helpful to see if your husband can talk with his doctor about getting vaccinated against hepatitis B.

HBV and HIV coinfection treatment
hep c type 2 b treatment