Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Teleprevir failed now what
Oct 28, 2012

Hello, I have been treated 2 different times. Once with the normal treatment and once with teleprevir. The second treatment failed. Can I now take boceprevir and see if that works? If so, how soon can I start treatment?

Response from Dr. Taylor

It can be frustrating to work hard on hepatitis C treatment, and not be cured. This is the case for many people, and one of the reasons why many new medications are under study, in the hopes that the future medications can cure a higher proportion of people. We hope that someday in the not-too-distant future hepatitis C will be cured 100% of the time with effective, safe medicines.

In general, there is not enough information about telaprevir failure, to recommend starting pegylated interferon plus ribavirin plus boceprevir. Telaprevir and boceprevir are similar medications, in the same family of medications, called hepatitis C first generation protease inhibitors. It may be helpful to discuss with your doctor how much damage, if any, the hepatitis C has caused to your liver. If your liver is healthy and without scarring, you may be able to wait for better information regarding new medications and next best steps after telaprevir failure. If there is more concern about your liver, you may want to discuss with your doctor the possibility of a clinical trial that involves newer medications under study. It may take a while to find an accessible trial for people not cured with telaprevir.

If you do take a future course of hepatitis C medications, it will be beneficial to fully adhere to what is prescribed and ideally take 100% of all doses of all medications at the recommended times, and with or without food as is recommended.

Previous
can i still pass hcv w/o the virus
Next
HBV and HIV coinfection treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.