Hep B infection

In year 2011, My HBsAg was nonreactive, HBcAB Total was reactive, HBsAB was borderline. For confirmation , the Physician ordered the following tests. Real time PCR 1)Heptititis B Virus DNA was in range. Hep B Viral DNA was <29 n <169.Ref range is ,<29 and <169copies/ml. 2)HBcAB(IgM) nonreactive. HBcAB Total W/Reflex IgM and HBcAB Total are Reactive. I was told, I would have had acute form of He B but my body had cleared it by the time I was tested last year. My qs are: Can I infect anyone when I have cleared this infection. Will I be able to pass the preemployment screening? Can they exclude me based on the fact that I can infect anyone even If my HbsAg and HBV DNA is negative?

Response from Dr. Taylor

It sounds as though your body cleared away the hepatitis B infection on its own. If your HBsAg and HBV DNA are negative, you do not have chronic hepatitis B infection and thus cannot infect anyone. This is good news.

It is not fair to exclude you based on these results. I do not know the rules of preemployment in your particular workplace but I hope there is a physician whom can assist and advocate for you if needed.

Hepatitis B is a dynamic virus and can change in our bodies over time. The fact that your core antibody (cAb) total is reactive means that you were exposed to hepatitis B in the past. Hepatitis B virus can sleep in your liver cells then, in a form called ccc DNA, and in rare cases be reactivated if your immune system is weakened at some point. For example, and I hope this never happens to you, people taking chemotherapy for cancer can have a reactivation of hepatitis B, and the sAg and DNA become positive/detectable as the immune system is under pressure. Thus over the course of your lifetime, check in with a physician if your immune system is going to be under this type of stress.

Hepatitis B and C results
can i still pass hcv w/o the virus