Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B infection
Oct 28, 2012

In year 2011, My HBsAg was nonreactive, HBcAB Total was reactive, HBsAB was borderline. For confirmation , the Physician ordered the following tests. Real time PCR 1)Heptititis B Virus DNA was in range. Hep B Viral DNA was <29 n <169.Ref range is ,<29 and <169copies/ml. 2)HBcAB(IgM) nonreactive. HBcAB Total W/Reflex IgM and HBcAB Total are Reactive. I was told, I would have had acute form of He B but my body had cleared it by the time I was tested last year. My qs are: Can I infect anyone when I have cleared this infection. Will I be able to pass the preemployment screening? Can they exclude me based on the fact that I can infect anyone even If my HbsAg and HBV DNA is negative?

Response from Dr. Taylor

It sounds as though your body cleared away the hepatitis B infection on its own. If your HBsAg and HBV DNA are negative, you do not have chronic hepatitis B infection and thus cannot infect anyone. This is good news.

It is not fair to exclude you based on these results. I do not know the rules of preemployment in your particular workplace but I hope there is a physician whom can assist and advocate for you if needed.

Hepatitis B is a dynamic virus and can change in our bodies over time. The fact that your core antibody (cAb) total is reactive means that you were exposed to hepatitis B in the past. Hepatitis B virus can sleep in your liver cells then, in a form called ccc DNA, and in rare cases be reactivated if your immune system is weakened at some point. For example, and I hope this never happens to you, people taking chemotherapy for cancer can have a reactivation of hepatitis B, and the sAg and DNA become positive/detectable as the immune system is under pressure. Thus over the course of your lifetime, check in with a physician if your immune system is going to be under this type of stress.

Previous
Hepatitis B and C results
Next
can i still pass hcv w/o the virus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.