Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV co infection affect hepatitis C seroconversion time?
Oct 13, 2012

Hi. I read a previous post and understand coinfection with hepatitis can delay seroconversion of HIV. Would HIV infection delay hepatitis C sero conversion, and if so how much? I have some major concerns.

I am currently at 9 1/2 weeks still with ongoing symptoms (icterus, rash, fatigue, hot skin with no fever, etc.) My 4 week post exposure Hep C test and Syphillis test was negative, and my enzymes were not really elevated.

I am preparing to repeat tests but very fearful about not finding the cause of this. How soon should I consider retesting for Hepatitis C before I can be confident in the results?

Thank you!

Response from Dr. Taylor

The presence of HIV infection in the body may delay hepatitis C seroconversion, meaning the development of hepatitis C antibody (Ab). So, people living with HIV infection may not seroconvert/develop hepatitis C antibody right away. Most people living with HIV develop the hepatitis C antibody in about 12 weeks, but even 6 months, 9 months, and a year after becoming infected with hepatitis C, the hepatitis C antibody result may still be negative in a small fraction of people (an example of one study demonstrating this is Emma Thomson's study for the journal called, AIDS, 2009, volume 23 number 1, pages 89-93. This was a study of HIV-infected men in the U.K. with new hepatitis C infections and how long it took for hepatitis C antibodies to be detected in their blood).

The fact that your liver enzymes were not really elevated may be reassuring. However, liver enzyme levels do not rise to a very high level with a new hepatitis C infection in everyone, and the highest levels may not be present the day a person gets her/his blood checked.

For people with HIV infection who may have a new hepatitis C infection, if the hepatitis C antibody is negative, the best next test is the HCV RNA. This means checking in the blood for the hepatitis C virus itself. This should be checked at least 2 times, over time, a period of weeks, because the level can fluctuate, go very high and to non-detectable levels, with a new hepatitis C infection.

Remember your doctor knows best. If your HCV RNA remains negative, talk with your doctor about checking you for other explanations for your symptoms.

Previous
Acute Hepatitis B
Next
No immunity for hep b

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.