Acute Hepatitis B

Is there a great chance for the infection to get rid off? My girlfriend was tested positive for acute hepatitis b reactive. I was just wondering if there is a treatment for hepatitis b. And is there a chance for me to be infected? back in college I had a shot for hep b immunization but only the 1st phase, there were like 3 shots and I only got one or the first part. And also, will we ever bare a healthy child, if so what could be the correct procedures or the steps? Thank you very much!

Response from Dr. Taylor

In the acute, or new phase, of hepatitis B infection, adults have a good chance of spontaneously clearing (getting rid of) the virus on their own, without medicines. The adult immune system does a good job of getting rid of the acute hepatitis B infection, and developing a protective hepatitis B surface antibody (sAb) protein which protects people from hepatitis B for the rest of their lives. For adults living with HIV, there is a greater chance of developing chronic hepatitis B infection and not getting rid of it in the acute phase. Chronic hepatitis B virus infection means on ongoing, persistent infection in the liver. Blood tests over time can determine if your girlfriend got rid of her acute hepatitis B or developed chronic hepatitis B infection.

There are a number of good medications available to treat chronic hepatitis B.

There is a chance that you could have been infected. The standard vaccination schedule for hepatitis B consists of a series of 3 shots. Some people are protected after 1 or 2 shots, but the optimal series is 3 shots. This is one of the world's oldest, safest, best-tested vaccines. It would be helpful to have your doctor check your hepatitis B blood tests.

Hepatitis B spread to a newborn may be prevented by vaccinating the newborn and by administering hepatitis B immune globulin, a second kind of shot. This is a safe and effective approach. In certain cases hepatitis B medications may be given to a woman who is pregnant; it is beneficial to discuss the risks and benefits with a doctor. It is helpful to evaluate and discuss a person's chronic hepatitis B with a doctor when planning pregnancy.

Hepatitis B blood tests
HIV co infection affect hepatitis C seroconversion time?