HEP C & HIV Infection

Hi Barbara,

I would really appreciate your support as I am freaking out, especially as I just gave birth to a baby girl & I am afraid to infect her in anyway. Today, I was in one of the governmental customs' offices, and as I was rushing to the counter when my number was being called upon, my leg skin (below my knee) got severely scratshed by one of the chairs in the hall. The wound was deep & profound. It was like I got injured with a knife or a very long nail. I kept bleeding for like an hour. I am not sure if I was injured by the edge of the bottom stainless steel bar below the seat, or by the stainless steel cylinderical rod at the side of the seat. But anyway, I am so concerned because I am afraid that someone infected with either HIV or HEP C might have been injured the same way I was, by the same chair, shortly before I got injured. I read some sources stating that HEP C can live on surfaces for up to four (4) days. I also read that viruses stay for a long time on hard surfaces such as stainless steel, which applies to my case. What are my chances of getting infected with HEP C and HIV, given that incident? Appreciate your prompt feedback

I would consider that HIGHLY unlikely. However, I think it is reasonable to get tested just to be on the super safe side since you were injured at an outside place under unusual circumstances. This will just be protective of you for documentation. Expect all to be fine. Would recommend repeat testing in 3 to 6 months for follow-up.

Remember, I expect all to be fine...but just looking out for you...

hepatitus c
HCV