Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risks of transmission when vaccination series not finished
Sep 16, 2012

I'm a 36 year old female with chronic hep b. I have a very low viral load (last test was less than 20 iu/ml), I've never received treatment and all liver tests and ultrasounds have been normal so far.

I have two questions both related to transmission risk when vaccination series not completed.

1. My son was tested (negative) at six months of age and subsequently was vaccinated in a three series scheme (0, 1 and 6 months following). What is the risk that I transmitted the virus before the vaccination series was complete, let say between first and second vaccination? I was nursing him.

2. My 5 month old daughter received a first vaccination at birth and received the second at one month. She is due for her last one in a month. Now to my worry: I cut her nails today with a nail clipper I had used about six days ago (no visible blood when i used it) and I accidentally cut her finger so she started bleeding! What are the risks of transmission given that she hasn't finished the vaccination series? I totally forgot i had used the clippers....

I'm worried sick...

Response from Dr. McGovern

You ask very good questions and I know you are a very good mother..

First of all, there is no risk to your son related to prior breastfeeding. Check out this CDC website, which will relieve your fears. http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/disease/hepatitis.htm

Secondly, the nail clipper event should not be an issue if you do not remember cutting yourself. Yes, in general we would not recommend sharing of razors and nail clippers, but the risk of HBV transmission to your daughter through the nail clipper is very low if you do not remember getting your blood on it. I think you would remmber this.

You could always get testing of your daughter in the future, but a highly doubt she would be infected. Finally, there are data to show that two doses of vaccine decrease the risk of HBV infection and certainly decrease the risk of chronic infection if transmission does occur. So I think you can call your pediatrician to discuss, but I would not worry about this any more since I believe the risk to be very low.

Previous
Hepatits C equivocal
Next
hepatitus c

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.