hep c on victrellis

My doctor is considered that my platellets have stayed below 20 in victerllis I am on week 22. He is suggesting to go off the meds, all this way and clear of the virus I need some help?

If I understand you correctly, your doctor is recommending that you stop HCV treatment because your platelets are too low now at week 20 of treatment.

I am uncertain as to whether you need a total of 28 weeks of treatment or 48 weeks of treatment. The total time will depend on whether or not you have cirrhosis. I suspect you might need the longer course since you are having so much trouble with your platelets.

There is a drug that can improve platelet counts, but it has not been approved for this purpose in patients with liver disease. Unfortunately, there are some significant side effects, including blood clots. So there is no easy solution to your problem.

I would be encouraged by the fact that a whole new line of drugs are coming down the road for HCV that won't include interferon, which causes a lot of thrombocytopenia (low platelets). Hopefully, you will be a good candidate for some newer drugs in the future.

In the meantime, keep alcohol to a minimum, keep your weight controlled (fat is not good for the liver) and make sure you are protected from other viruses such as hepatitis A or B through immunization (if you have never been exposed in the past). The future of HCV treatment is looking very encouraging.

HCV transmission
Hepatitis C Itchy Rash