Telaprevir for partial responders

As a partial responder I now await to be treated with Telaprevir but due to UK NHS hospital restraints I'll have to wait longer whilst those with compensated livers or needing transplants get treatment first. I was turned down at the last minute for a drugs trial, even had my bloods flown down to Switzerland! Anyway, I read a previous post with regards to US data on the Telaprevir trials for HIV co-infected and wish to know if/what the US trials have concluded? http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Hepatitis/Q217405.html

Regards, Andy

Thanks for your question and letting us know how things are going for you in the UK. First off, I want to forward a link to a blog regarding the SVR12 results from telaprevir (Incivek): http://www.thebody.com/content/66421/incivek-triple-therapy-looks-simply-great-in-hivhc.html

The bottom line is that HCV was suppressed in 74% of patients in the triple therapy arm compared to 45% of patients in the dual therapy arm 12 weeks after stopping treatment. These are very encouraging results. The data have not yet been published, but I suspect we will be seeing them soon. These data are in patients who were never treated before.

You should also be aware that there will be trials starting by the end of this year in HIV/HCV coinfected patients which do not include interferon. You may want to pay strict attention to those since you were a partial responder to IFN and you might do even better with a combination of directly acting antiviral medications for HCV.

Keep your spirits up because I am sure you will do well and will be cured of your HCV infection in the years to come. In the meantime, keep alcohol to a minimum and be certain to be adherent with your HIV medications since HIV suppression is great for liver health...Finally be certain you are protected against other hepatitis viruses through vaccination or prior exposure.

High Tumor Marker
Is Atripla less toxic residue than Truvada + Sustiva for Liver concerned patient