Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chronic HBV can lead to autoimmune hepatitis?
Sep 3, 2012

Hello Dr McGovern,

I have been a life-long carrier of Hepatitis B for 40 years. My doctor believes I am an inactive carrier because my liver function tests, ALT, AST have been consistently normal. (By normal, I mean ALT < 33 IU, not like the ridiculous ULN of 55 IU reported by some labs). Viral load has never exceeded 3000 IU. Even liver biopsy shows zero fibrosis and no significant inflammation. So I guess I am very likely to remain an inactive carrier without the need for any treatment.

One lab that concerns me is this: Anti-smooth muscle antibody: positive. Anti-smooth muscle antibody titer: 1:160

My understanding is that 1:40 is barely positive, 1:80 is suspicious, and 1:160 is very suggestive of auto-immune hepatitis. 1:320 basically leaves no doubt. As you can see, my titer is right at the edge.

Other markers of auto-immune disease are negative: ANA, F-actin antibodies, AMA.

I came across an article which proposes the idea that antibodies against part of HBV polymerases may cross-react with self-proteins.

Mimicry Between the Hepatitis B Virus DNA Polymerase and the Antigenic Targets of Nuclear and Smooth Muscle Antibodies in Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Infection.

http://www.jimmunol.org/content/162/3/1802.long#ref-1

This really scares me. Does my high level of anti-smooth muscle antibodies suggest that I will eventually get autoimmune hepatitis? Have you seen any HBV patients with auto-immune disease? If so, how are they treated?

Thanks, JK

Response from Dr. McGovern

I looked up the journal article you found, but you will note that this is only a studies of laboratory phenomena...There are no liver biopsy results reported. Autoimmune disease is a diagnosis based on liver histology in most cases.

Some patients with autoimmune hepatitis have other clues regarding their liver disease, such as thyroid problems, diabetes, anemia and platelet problems....

I would not jump to the conclusion that you have autoimmune hepatitis. Would speak to your physician further. By the way, you can see this positive in patients who are overweight.

Previous
HCV Transmission through nick with a washed trimmer.
Next
What combination should be taken with Incivik

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.