hello dr barbara
Sep 3, 2012
Hello Thanks a lot for your work 1. Who should be tested for HCV? 2. who The population that can be at risk? 3. do you think oral sex is a risk for HCV (if i receive)? thanks
Response from Dr. McGovern
Major prevention guidelines from the US and Europe recommend HCV testing based on risk of blood to blood transmission of HCV (eg, injection drug use, men who have sex with men in association with rectal trauma or other STDs, etc...)
The CDC just decided to have a one time test in all persons born from 1945 to 1965 based on the higher rates of HCV in this age group. Testing based on risk alone has not been that successful.
Receiving oral sex is not a risk for HCV.
Stay well and informed!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dizziness After Having Sex During Period Worried I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Red Eyes After Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Red Eyes After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Stinging Pain After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Can Genital Warts Cause Cancer?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.