Can Tenofovir reduce chance of HIV transmission?

Hi Doctor McGovern,

Just out of pure curiosity, am I protected from HIV infection if I take 300 mg of Viread each day to control chronic HBV? I heard Truvada can reduce HIV infection by 70%, and Tenofovir is the agent in Truvada which suppresses HIV replication as soon as the body is exposed to the virus. If so, Viread + condom use sounds pretty safe, doesn't it?

Again, I am just asking this question for curiosity's sake; I realize that HIV isn't the only STD out there. Hepatitis D superinfection is probably far more dangerous, so I plan to take caution no matter what.

Thank you.

You ask a great question.

Yes if you are already on Truvada for HBV infection, you are protected from HIV, particularly if you use condoms on a regular basis. Condoms and Truvada were used in the clinical trials that showed the protection of this approach against HIV infection.

I like that fact that you realize that "HIV isn't the only STD out there". You are an informed patient and that is great for your overall health!! Keep up the great work with condom usage.

If you have an unprotected exposure of concern in the future, you will still need HIV testing despite Truvada to be certain that breakthrough did not occur. Sounds like you are being very careful though...

Thanks for your question and best wishes for your health.

Confusion about HBeAb and HBcAb positive
hello dr barbara