Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transmission of HIV and Hepatitis through Blood from Mosquito.
Aug 27, 2012

Hi Dr. McGovern,

Thanks for taking my questions. I tried to search in the forum for my scenario, but I can't find it. So, here goes my question.

I knew that HIV and Hepatitis A, B and C cannot be spread through mosquito bite. However, this scenario is not from mosquito bite actually.

My wife and I was at a Japanese restaurant having sushi. There was a mosquito on my wife's lap. She killed the mosquito and there was blood from the mosquito. Then, my wife wiped off the blood and the dead mosquito from her hand and lap by using a piece of tissue.

Then, we went to the counter to get some tea. While we were away from our table, a waitress went to our table thinking that we were leaving. She started to clear our table. My concern is, if the waitress accidentally, got the tissue and mix or touch with some sushi on our table. When we came back, she realize that we were not leaving yet and stop clearing our table. My wife and I ate the sushi on our table.

The blood from the mosquito might be from my wife, because my wife got bitten. But, I cannot be sure. Assuming, if the mosquito has bitten an infected person with HIV and Hepatitis A, B, or C, is the exposure I mentioned pose any risk of infection to me and my wife? Do we need to get tested because of this incident?

I have searched in the other forum 'Safe Sex and HIV Prevention', transmission of HIV through mosquito of any route is impossible. So, I think I can safely exclude HIV from the list. But, how about Hepatitis A, B or C?

I have a feeling this incident should pose no risk at all, but maybe just my fear.

Thanks again, Dr. McGovern.

Response from Dr. McGovern

No I don't have any concerns about this at all.

Previous
What does my lab bill mean?
Next
Liver enzymes rise after take Truvada+ Stocrin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.