Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

So Truvada shows no HBV restitance
Aug 6, 2012

I have been hiv for 23 yrs and hbv for 13. When I 1st contracted hbv it almost killed me. LFT's of 3600 and 3900 w bil at 11. for almost 9 months....have a very virulant strain of hbv. Went off meds a for a little while in 05 hbv viral loads shotup so high my then dr thought there was something wrtong with the test. Since then been on Truvada but have worried about resitance. Every once in a while HBV comes out of hiding but most times it stays undetectable...is tha normal?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your experience with severe HBV hepatitis usually leads to clearance in most people, but I suspect your HIV got in the way unfortunately.

Yes, Truvada is a great drug for HIV/HBV coinfected patients.

Truvada is made up of two drugs that have dual activity against HBV and HIV: tenofovir and emtricitabine.

So far tenofovir drug resistance is extremely rare. This has also been seen in large trials of patients with HBV alone...Part of this resiliance is related to HBV itself...The virus is not as able to make a lot of mutations in its structure like HCV or HIV...That is good news for you.

Continue to take your meds with as good adherence as possible and best wishes for a healthy liver. Remember to continue to have ultrasounds of your liver every six months since patients with HBV need monitoring of their liver structure on an ongoing basis.

Previous
You wanted to know about my ALT and other report
Next
coinfection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.