HIV hep c gen 4

Hi I have confection and my liver is chirosis level now. I have hep c genotype 4 uncommon in the West and I only just started Interferon treatment. But now the doctors say my plateletes are dangerously low and they may have to stop. They are also schooling me that I will die! They say they have no more treatments to offer me. However I feel OK. Would anyone know of doctors thinking outside the square on this. I am sure there are indendent researchers out there with at least some options. Many thanks in advance for any ideas. Best Scott

Thank you for your question Scott. This sounds like a tough situation.

With genotype 4 infection, you should be taking Peg interferon PLUS ribavirin. I hope that you are doing that because you need combination therapy - not just PEG alone.

I would give you ribavirin dosed by weight at about 13 mg/kilogram given in two divided doses daily with food.

As for the platelet count, this is a common side effect with PEG unfortunately. Your doctors want to help you but don't want to harm you either. I hope that you can stay on your PEG but you should have HCV RNA testing before stopping to at least know if the treatment was helping. This is VERY important information to have for the future since new medications are coming for HCV.

In the meantime, take your HIV medications, which are also helpful...Make sure you are vaccinated against hepatitis A and B, if you have never been exposed...Finally, avoid all alcohol...

fatty infiltration of liver
Acute HCV