relapsed hep c treatment

back in 2002 i had a liver biopsy which indicated i was at stage 2 grade 2. i did the interferon and ribavirin treatment 48 wks. 6 mos after treatment, i had a viral load test and it showed i relapsed. i had a second biopsy in 2006 and it went to grade 1 stage 1. liver enzymes are normal. i am genotype 1 and am 51 year old male. is it wise for me to undertake this new treatment-combination of 3 drugs (incivik included) now or wait until a new treatment comes out that may exclude interferon and/or ribavirin? i have borderline hypertension and am on blood pressure med, i look forward to hearing from you.

Disease from HCV doesn't usually revert backwards unless you have been cured from your liver disease. So I am not sure I trust the second biopsy result.

The normal liver tests are mildy reassuring. However, I would probably get a non-invasive test for scarring of the liver to see if this blood test backs up the liver biopsy tests which suggest mild-moderate scarring - if you are thinking of waiting.

However, I would like to point out that you are one of the best candidates for re-treatment. Those who relapsed off PEG/RBV are the ones that do best with these triple therapy cocktails with really high cure rates. If you tolerated your PEGRBV okay the first time, it may be a great idea to try again now with triple therapy since you will probably be cured in about 6 months. I would lean towards cure now.

simultaneous co-infection
Anti Hbs Titre