Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBV - HIV Test interactions
Jul 23, 2012

I had an HBV infection detected a year ago. It resolved and I was declared healthy again in January. I took Elisa HIV test both in august and january to discard a possible infection. I got tested recently and found positive for HIV and secondary Siphilys. I haven't got unprotected sex since last year. Can this be a false positive? I don't know what kind of test it was used, but it took 40 minutes, so I'm guessing a very fast one.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Secondary syphilis is a diagnosis that is based on symptoms and signs on your body and a positive syphilis blood test. This blood test should be confirmed with another type of syphilis test.

A rapid HIV test is confirmed with another laboratory test...Sounds like you haven't yet had that.

Recent hepatitis B infection would not affect your HIV testing. I would be certain that you speak to your doctor about a confirmatory HIV test to be certain that has been done.

Previous
Hep C antibody transmission
Next
HEPA A

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.