Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV/HCV infection from punch/piercing
Jul 3, 2012

Hi, I'm really worried. I don't know if it's my OCD and I'm paranoid or if I really have something to be worried about. Almost 3 months ago I was at a gay discov(I'm gay)and I got into a fight with a cab driver outside, long sotry short the cab driver punched me in the mouth (once) and my lower lip swelled up and bled. I got two wounds on my lip, I guess I bit myself, The thing is that I have a piercing right under my lip (my piercing is like a little triangle on the side he punches, so I'm worried that he could have cut himself with it or with one of my teeth. Do you think I should be worried about getting infected with HIV or HCV? I was going to get an ELISA test, because I had unprotected sex in january and I got tested at 4 months.So I was going to get a test at six months, which would be 3 months after te punching incident. Should I be worried about the punch? Thanks for answering and sorry if my english is a little bad.

Response from Dr. McGovern

After a fist fight, the only risk would be if your both bled and there was blood exposure on both sides. An exposure to HCV through this route would be rare. Only two case reports have been reported in literature (one was by us).

Previous
hepatitis b
Next
hepatitis b

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.