coinfection

DR. Thank you for your response. I went back to the infectious disease Dr today and received my hepC viral Load 9,000. He told me I need to start treatment since the virus went from 2500 to 9,000 in 3 weeks. Indicating my body has not fought off the Virus. In my last email I asked a question regarding my Hiv rna pcr test I took. I really wanted to know specifically wether that test would be accurate in 2 months of exposure if indeed I was infected with Hiv and Hep C from same exposure? Reason I am so concerned is that my first false positive Western Blot was in Florida on Vacation and the test only Checked 3 bands 2 out of 3 were positive but only P24 and p40. I read that in NY that would have been indetermined. But I also read that P24 only stays positive for a very short duration. That's why I feel scared that I may be infected. Can you tell me wether a RNA viral load would detect the Virus in my situation? Thank You

I want to be absolutely clear that yes, the RNA would have the presence of HIV virus if indeed you were infected.

Indeterminate means you can't determine the results of the antibody testing. That is why a viral load was done to be certain you were not infected since the antibody was confusing. If you had HIV, you can be sure that virus would have shown up in your blood. You should be reassured by this.

I agree with your doctor that it is time to start therapy for HCV. I am sure you will do GREAT because your viral load for HCV is so incredibly low. You will surely be cured as long as you adhere to your medications.

Best of luck with your treatment and also get immunized against hepatitis A and B if you haven't already been vaccinated. You are in good hands with your doctor.

Coinfection
hepatitis b