Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Coinfection
Jul 1, 2012

DR. I have suffered so much in the past months and just don't know if things will start to make sence. Begining of April I got sick with fever, Night Sweats Terrible fatigue, and Cough. I was really concerned of acute HIV after reading online Acute symptoms. When I went to a DR. And asked to be tested he did. Few days past and I received a call stateing that my antibody test was undetermined but then checked by western blot and Positive. He told me I was HIV+. I immediately went to NYU hospital emergency room and asked to be tested and result was Negative But they did other blood work which showed elevated liver enzymes. About 2 times upper limit. I Followed up with a Infectious Disease DR who did a Viral Load RNA and liver pannel and MY HIV results were Negative But my Liver was 20 times upper limit. ALT was at its highest 1115 and AST 800. The infectious disease dr. Tested me for HEP C and it was positive with a Viral Load 4,000,000. Few days later repeated the test and was 6,500,000. He told me I have acute hep C and a false positive HiV. 2 weeks later my Viral Load was 900,000 and 1 week after was 2,500. DR said that he is confident I am fighting without treatment. Since my positive hiv test I was testes several times with PCR RNA and antibody tests all within 1st 2 months from exposure. And now here I am. MY Question is if I was exposed simotaneously with HIV and HEP C I read it would delay the antibody test But would it change the outcome on the RNA viral load? Do you think that my acute hep C pattern indicates that I am beating the Virus? I am 32 year old Male Thank You,

Response from Dr. McGovern

All good questions.

I agree that it appears that your immune system is fighting the virus and I am very hopeful that you will clear this on your own.

As you mentioned, there is a rare case of acute HCV infection causing a delay of HIV seroconversion - which means that the antibody is late.

But I agree that if there was HIV virus - it would still show up in the testing - no matter what.

So I believe that you are in the clear. The first HIV antibody test could have been a false positive or a laboratory error. The main issue is that you have had very good follow-up. Keep up the serial follow up on the HCV and the HIV. When the HCV RNA clears, I would check this HCV RNA one more time to be certain it stays this way. Your immune system seems strong and robust so I think it is clear you are HIV negative.

Previous
hep c and pregnancy
Next
coinfection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.