hep c and pregnancy

I have hep c geno type 1. I am not taki ng any meds for it, my doctor says it isn't necessary. My husband and I want to have a child. Will I pass the hep c to my child?

You can pass on HCV to your child although the risk is low at 5 percent.

If you are not planning on having children right away, you could discuss treatment with a liver specialist or an infectious disease specialist. The treatment for genotype 1 is more effective now with the availability of the protease inhibitors. If you want to have children right away, you cannot go on treatment since one of the drugs can cause birth defects.

You may also want to ask your doctor why treatment isn't necessary. See if staging of your liver disease has been performed (eg, a fibrosure test). Also see if you have been tested for HCV RNA to be certain if you have chronic infection or not. Also be aware that having normal liver function tests (eg, ALT) does not rule out the possibility of underlying liver disease. Maybe you had a biopsy that did not show liver disease in the recent past?

Immunity period after second dose..
Coinfection