HIV/HBV coinfection

Hi Dr Barbara,

I was diagnosed HIV+ last year september and have been really optimistic, after reading through many reports here. However, a recent article from HIV and Hepatitis.com posted on this site disturbed me.

I am a hiv/hbv coinfected patient. I read the the risk of progressing to AIDs, or die of liver-related disorders due to HEP B will be doubled.

What is my estimated life expectancy. I am 26 this year. I hope you can be honest about this. Also, I am currently on a regular 6-months ultrasound of the liver checkup and blood samples are also taken on every visit to my HIV specialist. I dont take alcohol. Other than these guidelines, what else should i take note of? Perhaps you can recommend any form of supplements?

If you have HIV and HBV you should be taking 3-drug antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection.

One of the key first line drugs is Truvada (emtricitabine plus tenofovir), which will be very important for you. This medication not only treats HIV but also HBV...Also it is very potent.

Thus, I recommend an ultrasound and an AFP every six months, and HBV DNA testing until you know that the virus is suppressed. Also you should have monitoring of your liver function tests during treatment.

With careful monitoring and good drug adherence, you should live a long life. We are learning more and more each day about HBV infection. Right now Truvada looks like a great drug for this.

Make sure your sex contacts are protected through immunization with HBV vaccine. For yourself get vaccinated against HAV.

What do you recommend, is it hcv
26th week of hcv treatment