HCV from swallowing drugs - please help!

Dear Barbara,

Is there risk of HCV infection if you do not inject or use drugs intranasally? I was at a club and I swallowed couple of "amphetamine bombs" (powder was inside a piece of tissue which I swallowed). I usually never do drugs and I have never injected anything. I have previously tested negative for hiv/hcv/hbv when I donated blood. I also have hav/hbv vaccination. I do not have any other possible risks.

Should I worry about HCV in this incident or does it always need to be injecting or taking drugs intranasally in order to get infected?

I feel terrible - can I let go of this fear since I do not want to get tested if not needed (suffer from ocd and trying to avoid unnecessary test).

Thank you so much!

I would definitely NOT recommend testing. Don't worry about this.

My concern about club drugs is that studies show that using these drugs can lead to disinhibition so you might take risks that you wouldn't normally do, like have group sex that is unprotected or inject drugs, like cocaine or heroine. Club drugs can be a stepping stone to bigger things.

k.h
30years HepB and 23years Hiv+