Need a straight answer

Hi Doctor,

I got my bloodwork done and my alt came back at 278. I have been drinking for 15 years and have done some stupid risky things. I was tested for HepC and HepB a couple of years ago it came back negative. I am worried that my liver function is so poor that I can't produce antibodies. Should I get a PCR? I know I should cut back or stop drinking but just can't some people are born addicts and can't be helped.

Thanks, David

I would simply get the routine tests for Hepatitis B surface antigen and anti-HBcore IgM and a HCV antibody and HCV RNA (since in early HCV your antibody can be negative before seroconversion). HIV testing would be a good idea as well.

However, alcohol alone can do this. If you want a "straight answer" as you say, I think you need to get to a detox facility to completely stop any drinking at all. 15 years of alcohol has probably already done some harm to your liver and you don't want to develop cirrhosis...

If you are unsure of where to go, contact your regular doctor about a list so you can begin calling.

UN-CORRELATED HEPA PROFILE RESULT
Worried about my daughter, father has hepB,C and HIV