The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C Type 1A
May 22, 2012

Good Morning Barbara, I hope all is well ? My Question to you is, What do I do now that I failed Treatment with (PEG)and Ribiviron,My Doctors here tell me there is no new real Meds as of yet for me?? Alittle scared here ! I had a friend last year she had passed on from the samething I have, Hers turned into Liver Cancer ?? Barbara, I am also HIV+ CD4 is 1,269.. :) Viral Load is below 20 Ml copies.. :)Can you help me ???? Have a good day.. Be well, Doug Close.

Response from Dr. McGovern

There is going to be a phase 3 trial of PEG/Ribavirin plus telaprevir and another trial with PEG/RBV and boceprevir for treatment naive patients with HIV/HCV coinfection. I am not aware of a trial for treatment experienced patients just yet.

However, it is important to know if you failed PEGRBV completely (no response) or you relapsed (the virus came back after you stopped treatment) or something in between (a partial response). For example, if you were a relapser, then triple therapy may work really well in you. if you really didn't respond at all, I would keep checking on my blog from time to time since I will let readers know when I hear about the next big trial for HIV/HCV co-infected patients. There are a MULTITUDE of new drugs coming down the pike so its just a matter of time...

In the meantime, keep your alcohol intake to a minimum and keep very trim since fatty liver is not a good thing in terms of liver scarring. Exercise, eat well. and keep up the nice work with your HIV control.

Low Titer Postive
treatment vs.non-treatment

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint