Hep B/C transmission risk - new mother

Hi Dr. McGovern,

I know Heb B/C can live on surfaces for a long time. At my postpartum exam, I noticed that the nurse touched the receptacle that she used to discard the speculum for my pap smear with her gloved hands prior to giving me a pelvic exam (with her fingers inside of my vagina). The exam took place at least 30 minutes after any patient had been in the room, so I don't think any wet fluids could have been on the receptacle. I worry because I have a tiny cut from dry hands that had cracked slightly and started to bleed, and I think a small smear of blood got onto the corner of my baby's mouth when I was trying to unlatch him from nursing. If I was exposed in any way, I certainly don't want to infect him.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely, Worried Mom

I would not be concerned about this. Congrats on your new baby!

HBeAg reactive anti-HBe nonreactive
Where does the Hep C virus hide?