Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C Test Equivocal
Apr 1, 2012

I recently had a routine check up and it was found that my Hep C AB test came to be 0.98(equivocal)According to the lab >1 is reactive. My ALT level was little higher than normal 53 and my AST was 50. Doctor said that I need to be retested after couple of weeks. Just to give you a back ground I have never done drugs, no blood transfusions, no tattoos, drink very rarely, have been married for 3 years now and an exercise enthusiast.In addition to that I am getting treated with Prevpac for H Pylori. Would that have any effect on my liver functioning? I am extremely worried and wondering what the term equivocal means. Am I at risk?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Without risk factors I suspect you don't have HCV infection. You can check HCV RNA - the virus itself - and I suspect it will not show any virus in your blood.

Previous
hep b vaccine
Next
High ALT numbers and Atripla: a better option?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.