|Hep C and Razors
Mar 25, 2012
I have Hep C and my 2 yr old son got a hold of my razor, which I though was high enough for him to reach, and sliced his foot (very small, didn't really appear to be a cut that bled much and tonight no real scab). I did not notice any blood in the water and I didn't notice any blood when getting him dressed. About 36-40 hours prior to that I used my razor and I recall cutting myself. I am pretty good about rinsing the razor (to get all the hair and shaving cream off) after each use. So my questions are:
1. How high is his risk? 2. Does it matter at all that it had been nearly two days (I shaved Monday afternoon and he cut himself on Weds. morning)? 3. Would there still be traces of my blood after I rinsed it? 4. Is the transmission rate effected if it happened under water? (I found the razor right near his cut foot like he got it down and dropped it in the water and scrapped his foot against it.
I am SO nervous!! We dodged the bullet by him not being born with it so I hate to think he would be infected because of my foolishness.
When should I get him tested?
| Response from Dr. McGovern
It sounds like his cut is minimal and may not have bled at all. With the rinsing of the razor, I suspect a VERY low risk. However, since you will have this on your mind, it is reasonable to discuss with your pediatrician in terms of whether testing should be done...However, I think the outcome will certainly be just fine if you pursue it, so don't lose any more sleep. If you want to get him tested anytime in the next 3 months would be reasonable. Most children, even if infected, clear the virus on their own...So don't worry so much. All will be well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Penis After Getting Head Worried I Have HIV
- Fatigue After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Flaky Skin After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Licking Anus Worried I Have HIV
- White Spots After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.