For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Urgent - 9 week old baby exposed to hep B yesterday

Hi Barbara, I recently had a baby and a friend wanted to hold her (he is known to have hep b). While the friend held her, I noticed an open, slightly oozing, sore on his arm (where a blister had burst). My baby brushed her hand against the sore, rubbed her face then stuck her hand directly in her mouth, before I had a chance to take her back. I am now terrified she's been exposed. She's only had her first vaccination to hep b at six weeks (she is now 9 weeks 4 days) as in this country hep b vaccinations are given at 6 weeks, 3 months and 5 months. My partner thinks I am over-reacting and that the risk is tiny but I am worried sick. Your advice would be appreciated.

I am not concerned about the type of exposure you describe. I would not recommend any special testing or intervention for your baby.

Heptiis B carrier