For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Heptiis B carrier

Hi Dr. McGovern, My husband was diagnosed of heptiis B (in carrier state). But his recent DNA test showed the virus count is very high (180000 copies/mL). Does he need treatment, and how is risk for us though we all got vaccinated for a few years ago. Thank you and I appreciate your time.

I would suggest that you have your surface antibody to HBV rechecked to be certain that you are still protected. If not, get a booster and recheck.

As for your husband, he should continue to have ALT testing to see if his liver tests become abnormal. If so, there may be consideration of a biopsy before treatment depending on the particular patient.

Hep C transmission and Liver Health
Urgent - 9 week old baby exposed to hep B yesterday