Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Indeterminate RIBA
Mar 5, 2012

Hi Doctor, I am HIV+ (cd4: 800, no meds) homosexual man. Six months ago I had a negative HCV test result. However, this week I had indeterminate results twice on RIBA (I am not sure which generation RIBA, but living in the Netherlands I assume, it is an up to date version). Now I am waiting for the results for mRNA test. I search in here and in pubmed but I cant reach to concrete numbers: What is the chance of an indeterminate test turning with negative or positive mRNA results? Should I prepare myself for the bad news, or just ignore the results as possible false positives? Within last year, I had unprotected sex only once. It was not a "rough" one, did not last more than 10 minutes. And I had no other behavior that involves risk for a transmission.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I think your chance of acquiring HCV through one exposure which was not associated with obvious mucosal tearing or any sexually transmitted disease (like syphilis) which can increase risk is low. However, I agree with the need for further evaluation with an HCV RNA. Indeterminate RIBA in just that - indeterminate. You need HCV RNA testing to finalize if you are infected or not.

Now another thing of great importance...Your HCV test result was negative six months ago. IF your HCV RNA is detectable, the great news is that your chance of cure is VERY high because your infection is new.

That is the advantage of routine screening if there is any risk whatsoever. Finding acute HCV is the goal because of the treatment advantage.

I would be certain that your Hepatitis B surface antibody is consistent with protective antibodies as well. If not get a booster vaccine if you need one. You also should be immunized against hepatitis A.

Previous
Liver lesions
Next
Hepatitis C transmission through eyes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.