Hep B

Dr. McGovern,

First, I want to thank you and your colleagues for the help you provide to so many people in these forums.

As for my situation, I had a potential exposure (unprotected sex with a female of unknown status) about seven months ago. As a result I have been getting tested for all STDs since. Given your specialty my questions pertain to Hep B. I was tested (HBsAG and HB Core AB, Total) at 5 weeks, 9 weeks, 16 weeks and 25 weeks post incident - all non-reactive. My tests at 16 weeks and 25 weeks also included Hep Surface AB which both times came back "indeterminate." I was never fully vaccinated against Hep B. I had this same indeterminate result about 3 years back as part of a routine exam but for which I did not think much of at the time because there was no previous risk of exposure at all during that time. Also, in the interim during a subsequent routine check-up I did get a result of 7L on the Surface AB test and the notation that I did not have immunity to the virus. Also, to the extent that it is useful to my inquiry my ALT and AST levels have been basically in-range and steady throughout this recent period (ALT at about 18 or so, and AST at 20 or so). So, my questions are: (1) would you recommend any further Hep B testing at this time?; and (2) if you think Hep B is an unlikely culprit any sense as to what might be causing me to come up indeterminate on these tests?

Obviously, like so many on these forums, this is has been a huge area of stress and anxiety for me, so I thank you for your thoughts.

No I don't think you need any further testing. However, I do think you should see your doctor about getting vaccinated. This way you protect yourself. I think your "indeterminate" results are related to partial immunity.

What does my result mean?
Liver lesions