Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv and hep c
Feb 23, 2012

Hello. I have read in your forums that coming into contact with blood when you have cuts on your hands is a very small risk for getting hep c and hiv. I am curious to why this is a low risk. Does infected blood have to get right into a vein to infect someone? Isnt gettin blood on your hands when you have open cuts on your hands the same thing? Could you please take the time to explain this to me, it would make me feel at ease- I am starting to get less paraniod about gettin hiv and hep c this way mabe this can set me straight if there is a reason behind your statement. Thanks!

Response from Dr. McGovern

If you have an open wound that is actively bleeding and this comes into contact with blood from another person, then you could anticipate some element of risk because of mixing of blood.

However, in the past decade only two case reports have been described of a traumatic fist fight among two people that led to HCV infection. We reported one of the two just last year. This is an extremely uncommon event.

In contrast, injection drug use with sharing of needles in very effective in transmitting HCV because the virus goes directly into the vein.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Previous
To know if I cured from hepatitis A?
Next
Starting Hep c treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.