Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Definition of Non-Responder
Feb 20, 2012

Thank you for your response Dr. Genotype 1B,initial VL 3.8M55 year old male in otherwise good health.Currently 20 weeks into triple therapy (Teleprevir, Peg, Ribavirin) weeks 4, 8 & 12 undectectable. Plateletes managed safely with promacta; SX a non-issue. Because I am not considered tx-naive, will I be able to stop tx at 24 weeks if I'm still undectectable, or continue to the SOC of 48 weeks?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I don't remember your particular case but I can say a few general things.

Patients who did not respond to PEG plus ribavirin in the past fall into various categories:

Relapsers (those who did respond to treatment but relapsed when treatment stopped) Partial responders (those who did not respond fully - only partially) Null responders (those who hardly responded at all).

When you undergo treatment again, the length of treatment will depend on your prior response. Patients with a history of relapse, who have a great response like you (with nondetectable virus at 4, 8, and 12 weeks) can finish at 24 weeks. This means 12 weeks of triple therapy and 12 weeks of dual therapy.

In contrast, partial or null responders must be treated for a total of 48 weeks (12 of triple plus 36 of dual therapy) to get the best response.

Hope this helps and best wishes for a great outcome...

Previous
after therapy
Next
Please help with my situation, need expert advice.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.