Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Negative HCV test, but doubling ALT level?
Feb 13, 2012

Hi there, I had a possible HCV exposure about 5.5 monthes ago. For the past 3 months I have been suffering from chronic fatigue, diarrhea, and nausea, as well as skin itching. I had some LFT's dont at 4 months past exposure and the level was 40. then I had them drawn again and the level is now up to 86. My Dr ordered an HCV antibody and I went for the test at 5.5 months after exposure (23 weeks) it was negative. Do you think that it is still possible I could have HCV infection. Or is that now ruled out due to the neg test at 5 months. My Dr doesnt know what to think and Is going to converse with some collegues before my next appointment on what to do next. I'd really appreciate your opinion while I wait. Thanks

Response from Dr. McGovern

LFTS can go up from a variety of things. Yours are only mildly abnormal. I doubt you have acute HCV infection, because I would have expected your antibody to turn positive by 5 months. However, if there is some other possible more recent exposure, you can consider a HCV RNA test. I assume that you have already had testing for other hepatitis viruses.

Mild LFT elevations can be due to medications or fatty liver - the risk factor for this is high cholesterol, high triglycerides, diabetes, or being overweight.

Previous
Definition of an HCV non-responder
Next
Liver Biopsy results.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.