Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

treatments for co infected
Feb 8, 2012

I live in Australia and i was wondering about treatment for being co infected i have hep c as well as being HIV .i have only just been diagnosed with the HIV and have been waiting for a couple of years for the new hep c treatment to be available.as i am Geno 1, my HIV doctor tells me that i wont be able to receive the new treatment as it wont be offered to HIV infect people.If i haven't had enough bad news this year. i was wondering were i could find out more information on HIV patients receiving treatment for there hep c.and the new treatment that there having all the success with and why it wont be available for HIV patients. thanks kevana

Response from Dr. McGovern

Well I have good news for you. The preliminary data from a trial looking at HIV/HCV patients with genotype 1 infection look great. At 4 weeks of treatment, about 70% of patients had suppression of their virus with triple therapy (PEG, Ribavirin, plus telaprevir) compared to none with PEG/Ribavirin dual therapy.

The final results will be available later this year so I do expect some guidance about treatment very soon. However, in the meantime, check out my blog which describes in further detail the great preliminary results!!!

http://www.thebody.com/content/65633/incivek-telaprevir-in-hivhcv-coinfected-patients-a.html

Previous
medication
Next
Hcv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.