treatments for co infected

I live in Australia and i was wondering about treatment for being co infected i have hep c as well as being HIV .i have only just been diagnosed with the HIV and have been waiting for a couple of years for the new hep c treatment to be available.as i am Geno 1, my HIV doctor tells me that i wont be able to receive the new treatment as it wont be offered to HIV infect people.If i haven't had enough bad news this year. i was wondering were i could find out more information on HIV patients receiving treatment for there hep c.and the new treatment that there having all the success with and why it wont be available for HIV patients. thanks kevana

Well I have good news for you. The preliminary data from a trial looking at HIV/HCV patients with genotype 1 infection look great. At 4 weeks of treatment, about 70% of patients had suppression of their virus with triple therapy (PEG, Ribavirin, plus telaprevir) compared to none with PEG/Ribavirin dual therapy.

The final results will be available later this year so I do expect some guidance about treatment very soon. However, in the meantime, check out my blog which describes in further detail the great preliminary results!!!

http://www.thebody.com/content/65633/incivek-telaprevir-in-hivhcv-coinfected-patients-a.html

medication
Hcv