Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Starting TX soon..
Feb 6, 2012

What a wonderfully insightful forum. This is a positive place and where questions are answered truthfully and honestly. Thanks. I am having my biopsy on Tues 2/7/12, and will start on the new "cocktail" therapy of peg. Interf. Ribv. and Victrelis?.. I have done plenty of research, and am happy I stubled upon this website.. Good Luck to everyone and Thanks again...

Response from Dr. McGovern

So it sounds like you have genotype 1 infection with hepatitis C. For genotype 1 we use triple therapy. First you will be starting PEG injections once weekly and twice daily ribavirin pills. Then after a month of this dual therapy, you will start boceprevir (Victrelis), a HCV protease inhibitor. This triple therapy is very successful in reducing virus down to nondetectable levels.

Your biopsy is being done to stage your disease.

Once you begin therapy your doctor will be monitoring your HCV viral load test to see if the treatment is working for you.

It is very important to take all your doses with excellent adherence so you minimize the chance for resistance. This is key.

Some patients develop anemia on triple therapy so your doctor will be monitoring you. Also another common side effect is dysgeusia - a bad taste in the mouth.

Previous
HBsAg non reactive, anti HBsAg weakly reactive
Next
Hep C concern

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.