The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

doctor from india here..tension on coinfection
Jan 14, 2012

hi doctor, i have been forwarding you my queries since 2 months, but i think to my bad luck they are not reaching you through this website or you might be busy with your work schedule. please educate me of few issues and relieve my stuck up mind and anxiety coming over from that.

i am posting my things here.

I tested negative for HIV antibody tests 3,6,9,12,15,18 months. All came out to be negative. Later i came across article on Hepatitis C co infection and delayed seroconversion. so i tested at 18 months for HCV antibodies and it came out to be negative. my possible route of exposure was oral sex with a girl (she gave me blowjob) and i touched her vaginal fluids with bare hands..

So my concerns here are

1)Is there any possibility of contracting HCV through my encounter?

2)For HCV I did only antibody testing at 18 months,should i do any PCR TESTING for this?

3)Is there any possibility of delayed seroconversion with regards to HIV(coinfection with HCV) and any further testing is needed to rule out even the remote possibilities,because i am getting married this month and i dont want to give even the slightest chance of infection to my partner..

Please answer me and relieve me of my tensions to move forward with my new relationship.

Response from Dr. McGovern

No more testing is required. You are truly negative.

Late seroconversion is not an issue for you because you did not get either infection.

Nothing to think about further.

Hope this is helpful.

HCV Geno 2b Relapser HIV Coinfected Shut Out?
hepatitis b

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint