The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hepatitis b(india)
Jan 7, 2012

I am 34 years of Indian. My status is hbsag(screening) positive, hbvDNA- 51 IU/ML, hbeag-neg; hbcab: positive, Normal LFT and normal liver in ultra sound. Previously my wife tested as HBsag-negetive then 3 shots of vaccines were given to her. then tested hbsab her result is 1000 MIU/ML. My children ie.. daughter-9 yrs, son 8 years got vaccine after their birth supplied by the Government. When tested their hbsag (screening) negative. Hbsab daughter is 9.5 MIU/ML and son is 2.9 MIU?ML ? As per the results children are infected with hbv? If not what should I do? If again give vaccine, it will work on them? Or not?

For which you have opined that I would want to make certain that your children got the full series of three shots because most of the time the hepatitis B vaccine works well.

No I do not think your children are infected, but I do think that their antibody titers are low and they may need a booster shot. I would check their blood tests (surface antibody) about a month after immunization.

Further submit that what my status as per the gasentrology ? should i go for treatment? can I participate with my wife unprotected sex ?

Response from Dr. McGovern

It looks like the children may need a booster shot for a better response. Great news otherwise on your wife. Also doubt any major risk for transmission if your HBV DNA stays as low as it is. You should continue to be monitored since the viral load can fluctuate.

Please help me. So confused ALT levels
Immune Reconstitution in co-infected persons

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint