Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HEPATITIS C
Dec 22, 2011

Doctor I accidentally pricked myself today,November 24,2011 with a needle used by a patient having hepatitis C,her laboratory result is HCV-Ab Positive 42.51.the first thing I did was to pressed my finger until blood came out and I washed and soaked it with povidone iodine.After 25mins.they extract a blood from me and sent in other hospital for HCV-Ab,HBs-Ag and HIV 1 and 11-Ab-Ag Combi.The result for my HCV-Ab Negative 0.353, HBs-Ag Non-Reactive 0.732, HIV 1 & 11-Ab-Ag combi Non-Reactive o.534.Doctora I don't know what to do right even that is the result for the blood test from me my patient is still HCV positive I am very worried that it may transfer to me.What will I do? Any medication that I can take so that I can not acquire that hepa c from my patient.what will I do now doctora? PLEASE DOCTORA I NEED YOUR HELP.God bless you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

You are correct that you have a chance - a low chance - of being infected.

You will be followed serially over time with liver function testing and perhaps an HCV RNA at some point with your employee health service.

The good thing to realize is that you know what occurred and you will be followed closely. IF you do get infected, you will start treatment quickly and you will most likely be cured because it is so early in infection.

However, I would definitely NOT expose you to a toxic treatment unless I KNEW you were infected. As chances are on your side. Just be sure to get good follow-up

Previous
Treatment for indian subtype hepatitis c
Next
New Drug for Hep C geno type 1

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.