Hepatitis B chronic?

Dear Dr. I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B on October 2010. Two months later, I was diagnosed with HIV and started drug treatment with Atripla. I've been monitored for my hepatitis B, but I still haven't generated the necessary antibodies, the viral load now is almost indetectable at this moment. How long do you think it will take to get rid of the virus? or is this a condition that most probably I will need to live the rest of my life?

Excellent questions....

Similar to HIV, we generally talk about suppression of hepatitis B - not cure.

In contrast, with hepatitis C we can use the word cure...

Atripla is the best 3-pill in one medication for you two viral infections because 3 drugs are effective against HIV and two of the drugs are effective against HBV.

If you have Hepatitis B e antigen positive infection, it would be great to see you lose your E antigen and gain E antibody. This is seroconversion and implies great control...

If you have Hepatitis B e antigen negative infection, you can't follow any antibody changes....

If either case, you just want to make sure the virus levels are coming down...as they are for you. This is GREAT news.

Hepatitis a
hepatitis B vaccination