Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ultra sound shows liver lesion.
Dec 21, 2011

I had an ultrsound done on my abdomen and the results were mildly coarse hepatic echotexture and I have a well defined hyperechoic liver lesion most likely representing a hemangioma. They want to do a biopsy of my liver since it's been awhile and if thats not so good, they want to give me an MRI to rule out liver cancer. I also have mild to moderate kidney disease and I am afraid to take the contrast with the MRI. My creatinine is 1.18. Is this safe? I'm also HIV positive with an undetectable viral load.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your creatinine level is okay right now so I think the MRI is a good idea. It is probably - most likely- a hemangioma...

There are very good treatments now for hepatitis C genotype 1 infection (the most common type in the US). Preliminary results in HIV/HCV coinfected patients show that triple therapy with pegylated interferon, ribavirin, and telaprevir lead to rapid suppression in about 70 percent of patients at 4 weeks of treatment. We dont' know the final results yet, but this is very exciting news.

If you have genotype 2 or 3, you can do very well with pegylated interferon/ribavirin therapy.

Previous
10xSgot/Sgpt;Fatty liver!
Next
HCV antibodies ELISA test result

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.