Aids and Hepatitis B

Hi Dr, I have a few questions and I hope someone can help address them. I was diagnosed with AIDS almost 22 years ago and was put on AZT (only drug of choice at the time). Throughout the years I have changed meds multiple times but my CD4 remains about 150 on average and only went >200 for about a month. During the years I now find out that I also have chronic hep b, which they thought I had and passed but when i was on a "med" break for a couple of weeks we learned that was NOT the case. My VL is <50 and we continue to keep it there with the meds but I have also been battling rectal squamous cell carcinoma for many years and have had a multitude of surgeries to cut out the new areas, etc. I am at the point now that I can't/don't want to take the meds and just let nature run its course due to the extreme fatigue, etc. I guess my question is what is the life expectancy of someone in my shoes? I would have never thought I would survive this long and the longer im around the more exhausted I get, etc. I'v had pneumonia twice now, first time was the pneumosystis (sp) when I found out and my CD4 was 7. Any information you can share would be appreciated. Ive talked with many of my doctors who tell my "just excersize" youll feel better. I am in shape, not overwweight and am active when I can be but they are not addressing my concerns. On the hep b part when they thought I had it but didnt "have it" I did have a scan and was told I had a "fatty liver"?

thanks for getting back with me

The scan of your liver showed "fatty liver". This is a common finding and can go with diabetes, HIV medications, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or just being overweight. I would see if any of these risk factors are a concern for you...

As for your overall fatigue with your disease, I think it is difficult to continue taking medications on a daily basis for the rest of your life. However, I think your clinical well-being will change drastically if you stop taking your medications...My guess would be that your T cells would take a giant hit and that your rectal cancer could then get worse.

I wonder if the fatigue you are describing is related to the cancer or possibly to situational depression. You have many reasons to feel down - but many to also feel quite lucky...As you said yourself you have lived many years with HIV...But that is also exhausting in itself since you have been through a lot...

I would talk to your doctor about seeing a therapist and would consider a mood elevator for now to see if that helps. Even a sun lamp might also help during these dark times of year.

Be well...Have a Healthy 2012...

panic dental student
do i have hepa A