Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis B.please guide me what to do?
Dec 20, 2011

I am 34 yrs old male recently before a month ago I went to donate blood and came to know that I am HEPATITIS B POSITIVE and Dr tells that I am a carrier.the test reports are as under and I had done Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) DNA Quantification (Viral Load)-COBAS TaqMan

details are as follows

Test: Quantification of HBV DNA from patient's plasma or serum by standard procedure on COBAS TaqMan

Equipment: COBAS Ampliprep and COBAS Taqman

Limit of Detection: 20 IU/ML

Conversion: 1 IU is equivalent to 5.82 copies/ml

Measuring Range: 20-170,000,000 IU/ML

Specificity: 100% with a confidence limit of 99.54%

Results: HBV DNA QUANTIFICATION- COBAS TaqMan 5747 IU/ML

Log Value 3.76

SGPT (ALT), SERUM BY ENZYMATIC METHOD IS 48 can you guide me what precaution should I take to prevent further liver damage? what is the status of my desease. I would be highly oblige to you,please guide me.

Response from Dr. McGovern

It is hard to know if you are a carrier yet if you have never been tested before since we don't know how long you have had your infection.

You will need to follow up on your hepatitis B testing (eg, your HBV DNA) to see if you clear the virus over the next six months. If not, then you have chronic infection.

You will also need more blood tests to know more about your infection, such as a hepatitis B surface antigen, a hepatitis B E antigen, and a hepatitis B e antibody along with further testing of your liver function tests.

In the meantime, my best advice is to not to drink alcohol to excess. Also use condoms with intercourse and be certain that any sex partner is vaccinated against hepatitis B.

Previous
magnetic resonance elastography
Next
Hep c and normal LFTs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.