|New Hep C Meds
Oct 29, 2011
Are the new Hep C Meds easier on the body & liver and mental health especially for an HIV+ male?
| Response from Dr. McGovern
The new HCV protease inhibitors include boceprevir and telaprevir. However, either one is taken combined with PEG interferon and ribavirin so I am afraid that the issues surrounding the psychiatric side effects of interferon still remain.
You can't take the HCV protease inhibitors alone because you quickly get drug resistance and then the drugs simply don't work.
As with any drug, telaprevir and boceprevir both have side effects. The main one with TLV include rash and anemia while boceprevir is associated with a bad taste and anemia.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- If You Have Hiv But You Are Undetectable Can You Still Give Someone Hiv While Having Sex?
- Do Woman With Hiv Have Vaginal Discharge?
- Why Do People Get Geographic Tongue?
- What Would Cause False Positive Syphilis Blood Test?
- What If You Have Sex One Week Before A Herpes Outbreak?
- What Can I Do At Home To Make My Herpes Outbreak Go Away?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.