Telaprevir for Genotype 2b/HIV Coinfected?

I'm one the people thrown into the VA system ... they said I can't try the new HCV therapies w/ them because "it's not approved for geno 2b ....... and even if it was, I'd still be out 'cause it's not approved for HCV/HIV coinfected."

But I can also use use medicare to avoid the VA entirely.

Are they telling me the truth?

Thank you Dr. M!

Good question.

It is true that the new HCV protease inhibitors are not approved for genotype 2 infection. One study of telaprevir suggests that this drug may have some good activity against Type 2 infection, but the data are preliminary so far. I expect to see more data coming.

There are also other drugs in later stage development that have some promise for genotype 2 infected patients.

However, if you have never been treated in the past, you may do just fine with dual therapy using PEG and Ribavirin since genotype 2 infection is the easiest to treat...

I hope this is helpful.

hcv
New Hep C Meds