For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Time for Surface Clearence

Dr McGovern,

Is it extremely unusual for HbSag to stay positive beyond 6 months?

5 months ago I was diagnosed with Acute Hepatitis B. I was in the incubation period, the only symptom being a prodromal rash. The actual "illness" began 3 weeks later, and 3 weeks later, HbEag disappeared and seroconverted to Anti-Hbe

My liver biochemistry is, to quote my GP, "absolutely perfect". He seems unwilling to do a quantitative test, but I am seeing a specialist in a week.

All the brochures and articles I have read seem to suggest that HbEag persists with HbSag for the 6 months, along with at least some mild ALT elevations. Even the diagrams in all the textbooks suggest the same.

I am worried, seeing as I only have 4 weeks left before a "chronic" diagnosis is made.

Do you think I am likely to seroconvert soon? Perhaps after the typical "6 months"?

Yes, I am still hopeful that you will clear since the six month window has not yet passed.

However, if you don't you should have HBV DNA testing to see if there is any virus detected in your blood. This is very important to follow-up on.

I am glad you will be going to a specialist to get further advice.

Hepa B reactive?
hcv transmission