The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please answer my question i asked...
Oct 29, 2011

i had asked u abt my c4 9s 519 an my vl is beow 30 but my hepc is 11 million...what should be my next step?? i am also #1 in my hepc which says im harder treat...plz help..i go back to the doctor soon!!!!

Response from Dr. McGovern

If I understand correctly you have HIV/HCV coinfection with a great CD4 cell count of 519 and a non-detectable HIV viral load which is terrific.

Your HCV viral load is high at 11 million and you have genotype 1 infection.

There are two new HCV protease inhibitors available in the US and Europe called boceprevir and telaprevir. There are no completed trials yet in HIV/HCV coinfected patients, but the early results during the first months of treatment already show that many more people have viral suppression on triple therapy with Pegylated interferon, ribavirin and a HCV protease inhibitor than with PEG, RBV dual therapy.

Although you have told me your type of infection, you should also ask your doctor about the stage of your disease. Some doctors get a liver biopsy, and others get non-invasive markers, such as a Fibrosure or Fibrotest. These help to determine the extent of your liver disease.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet approved these drugs for HIV infected patients with HCV, but you can discuss with your doctor whether you should be treated depending on the stage of your disease.

Best regards

hep c
hep c symptoms

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint