The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C Test
Oct 12, 2011

My last HCV results were in July and they were negative. Since I have HIV as well my doc did notice my liver enzymes were a little high, but nothing to worry about. Last week I did an anonymous HCV test and I got called five days later with the results. I tested positive for HCV. I am in shock. Does testing positive for the antibodies mean I have the virus? I have no symptoms. My urine is normal, no fatique, etc.. I feel great. I see my doc this week and he will do more blood tests. He cannot understand it either. I inject steroids as HGH therapy to raise my test levels. Could this have played a role in the raised enzme levels

Response from Dr. McGovern

You will need HCV RNA testing to see if the virus is in your blood. If so, then you have acquired infection. Risk factors include injection drug use or sexual transmission from an infected partner. Do you ever share any needles with another person for the steroid injections?

If the HCV RNA test is negative, and you are unaware of any risk factors for new HCV infection, then a RIBA test would be the next best step to confirm the results of the new antibody test. If the RIBA is negative, the antibody is a false positive test result.

An alternative explanation for elevated liver function tests is fatty liver from obesity, high cholesterol or diabetes.

I hope this is helpful.

hep B serology results interpretation, pls help
anti hbs reactive means?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint