Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how infectious is core antibody total positive??Pls Help.
Oct 2, 2011

Hi Dr. please help me.I am really worried for the past few days. I accidentaly pricked myself with an insulin pen needle(6mm) of patient who has Hep B surface antigen (negative), hep B core antibody total (POSITIVE), hep b core antibody IGM (negative).hep b surface antibody is 3.36 Iu= inconsistent with immunuty. 6 months after, we rechecked our patients hepatitis panel and it revealed the same result though hep B surface antigen is still negative I AM REALLY BOTHERED BECAUSE IT TURNED OUT THAT HER hep B core antibody total is still positive. DOCTOR PLEASE HELP ME, Will i also get infected of hep B? Is there a high risk of gettig infected even if she is hbsAg negative?????48 hrs after I got pricked, I had my self checked for hep B titer: result is 1,854.50=immune.because reference is if >150= indicAtes immunity.but please I want peace of mind, I dont know if I will get infected also :(..please answer my question Dr. Thank u very much.

Response from Dr. McGovern

You are protected with that titer.

The only hepatitis B laboratory of concern for exposures is in a HBsAg positive patient. The profile in this patient is one of prior exposure - not chronic infection. Thus you are not at risk.

Previous
my bf was recently diagnosed with chronic hepa B
Next
hepatitis c

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.